11.10.2009

From the Pit--Nano Correspondence I

National Novel Writing Month is kicking my [apples]. Five thousand and ninety words. That's about half of what I'm supposed to have. I must remind myself:
  • Good writing = bad for me
  • Decent writing = bad for me
  • "That Perfect Word" will remain elusive and I will satisfy myself with "suspiciously."
  • Quality = bad for me
  • QUANTITY IS KING.
Anyone have any strategies to suggest as far as beefing up my word count goes? Word-eaters, such as extremely detailed physical descriptions, lengthy expositions, etc.?

Also, Chase Bradford Lowell's superpower is officially time management. But none of us in the Compass community are surprised.

[On a less related-to-the-header note, Constantine is officially fixed. His harddrive at itself, but we got him a new one, and now he has a spankin' new appendicitis story to impress the ladies and regale small children with. Furthermore he has Windows 7 which means: Mahjong Titans. Oh happy day.]

6 comments:

  1. Long and intense conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is this Anonymous person? -intent stare-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoever they are, I like the long and intense conversation idea. XP Extremely detailed character descriptions are always good. You could give each character a flash-back chapter! And then just throw the whole bio in there, that's always a good way to eat up words.

    Correction: Mr. Lowell is the only person in the Compass community who can time manage.

    And yay for Constantine! I am sure his stories will be completely waffle and just all the better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some devious hints that are TOTALLY legitimate.

    1. People repeating what other people just said, but incredulously. (This can often go nicely with the whole 'staring' hullabaloo.)

    2. Adding titles to the front of people's names for effect. "Madame Lucie watched etc....it was not unlike Madame Lucie to etc"

    3. The devil's advocate. "Not that she was interested in the affair, naturally; but she was willing to admit it possessed a certain attraction, a kind of devious charm."

    4. The Big Duh: DESCRIPTION (but you knew that one) - pretty adverbs and adjectives never go wrong

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well...if you're really really desperate, I found this tip on one of those...forums. Put a space after your dashes--and ellipses...and they'll count 'em as words. A better tip though, is that if you-do-something-like-this, it counts it as one word, so put spaces between them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How is your progress coming? You need to do another post!

    ReplyDelete