12.05.2009

Narration From the Other Side--Of Course Everything Looks Worse in Retrospect

So, as you've probably all guessed due to the lack of triumphant, awed post, I didn't make it to the finish line. Not even close. Events in November such as school, and (the biggest of all) the wedding of my wonderful sister Michelle, now Moraga, made the month hectic and busy. But, Nanowrimo was by no means a vain enterprise. While it's true that at this point I still blush in shame at all the perceived cliche aspects of my novel (of which there are many), berate myself for not simply turning my back on life in general and writing 'til my fingers bled as any truly dedicated writer would, and fight the urge to pretend that I didn't even enter instead of admitting to my paltry five thousand some words, no amount of self-deprecation will squelch in me the warm fuzzy pride I feel in the fact that I tried. I can now say, "Here, see, this is mine." Those five thousand odd words make up the first piece of original, full, non-academic writing I've done in probably two-and-a-half years. It. felt. Good. God gave me a passion for writing, and the gift for it (such as it is), and it feels lovely to be using it regularly again.

So I'll be continuing my novel as much as possible. And in nursing the sorrow of not being able to finish I remind myself that there's next year I can look forward to. And hopefully no one in the family will be getting married next November. Although with the way this family just adores patterns when it comes to major life events...

Anyway, now I've got a whole year to plan for next Nanowrimo. Muhaha.

SNOW.

1 comment:

  1. Just a note: There is also JanNoWriMo, and JulNoWriMo, and April Fool's. All basically the same thing. Also, there is FAWM, February Album Writing Month, and somewhere there is a National Poetry Writing Month.

    ReplyDelete