10.26.2009

National Novel Writing Month--THIS AUTHOR WANTS YOUR INPUT

So, here's the deal, the 411, the conundrum, the poop, as they say:

November is National Novel Writing Month. Hypothetically speaking, I could sign up, which would hypothetically mean that I would need to write a hypothetical novel of at least 50,000 hypothetical words, hypothetically completely original (meaning not part of any story I have worked on before), all by my hypothetical lonesome. The deadline is November 30.

I admit, I really like this idea. I'm all a-tremble with hypothetical excitement. I don't get any hypothetical prizes save for a hypothetical fuzzy feeling of deep accomplishment in the hypothetical cockles of my heart.

THE CONS:
  • I have no ideas. The last time I undertook writing an actual novel was when I was fifteen. Some of you have read the results--it's not pretty. I'm not really good at it. Finishing things is an issue.
  • Melissa's wedding, Mich's wedding (more important), and Thanksgiving all happen in November. That might just get in the way a tad. 
  • I really should probably focus on schoolwork. This is little because it's not really an issue I care about.
  • I'll probably eat way more than I should during this process.
THE PROS:
  • IT WILL MAKE ME WRITE. Hopefully. Or it could go in the opposite direction and become a con...
  • The aforementioned warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment.
  • Tea. Lots and lots of tea.
Of course there are most likely many more pros and cons. At the moment my mind is a jumble.

Also Master Lowell has already challenged me to do it.

THIS IS THE PART WHERE AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION COMES IN. And you can't complain about it because you haven't done anything for me to write this blog that you read, therefore it's just a fair that you do something for me as I do something for you (assuming one counts writing a blog as "something"...."good").

What do you think? Do you think I should do it? If so, give your reasons. If not, give your reasons. In short, convince me.

(You'll have to work hard, because I can argue against either quite adamently)

If you're interested: It's a Scrivener's Ball!

12 comments:

  1. Meagan, I'm not going to give a long-winded answer.
    You should do it simply because you have a gift and as such you should USE it. Don't waste it :) I wish I had learned this lesson, and so I'm telling you not to waste your gift :)
    So, there's my answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well, since Master Lowell challenged you, of course you have to do it! Kidding. Actually, I think you should. It'll give you practice for when you actually get around to writing a real novel. Even if it's crap (which it won't be cause it's you) you'll still get a feel for how to outline a plot and whatnot. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's gonna be hard, but I say go for it.
    I SUPPORT YOU, MEGGLES

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hypothetically, I think you should do it as long as it is not at the expense of your family or studies. Shall I assume we will be seeing less of you on fb?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do it Meg!! :D You'd do awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. do it. or you'll spend the whole month wondering what you could have come up with had you tried. (aka, The Jadis Bell Argument. you cannot deny its convincingness.)

    and also you won't be doing it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meggy you have to do it! And I've been begging you to write a book for ages!! Do it! I think this would be a really good experience for you! I'd do it but I have other things that require my attention in the month of November. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. do it. DO it. DO IT. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know my opinions already. But this morning while I was waiting for everyone to wake up, I was trying to think of some constructive pros, which have mostly already been said. But I do think that it can teach you a lot and it will be a good experience for you. And I also think that other people will read it, people you don't know, so that they will be affected by it as well, and they might be able to give you a different perspective from the people you know and love and support you all the way, which, you can see, is a great many number of people.

    ReplyDelete