1.11.2010

The Start of Something New(ish)--There's a Monster Under My Bed

Or, more specifically, next to my bed.

Three, in fact.

Yes, you guessed it: I'm currently in possession of the first three novels in the Twilight Saga (saga, what a pretentious word for series). It's quite terrible, I know. One even has Robert Pattinson's face on it. Horrors.

Allow me to explain myself. Since I was made aware of what Twilight really is, I've looked upon it with derision (there was a very small period of time when I considered reading it, but that was when the only knowledge I had of it was that it was called "Twilight"). Not only did everything I hear about it offend me as a writer, but it also offended me as a basic person with some imagination (sparkling vampires. Honestly).

However, you, dear readers, may have noticed that key word that has been irking me myself for some time. "Hear." Everything I hear about it. The only personal hands-on experience I have with Twilight is my viewing of the movie (which I'd highly recommend if you need a good long laugh). I of course know that's nowhere near sufficient as my personal philosophy is to never judge a book by its movie or vice-versa. Therefor, it's simply unfair of me to judge the Twilight Saga without first at least reading them. Know thy enemy and all that.  I've always been an avid supporter of forming my own opinions, especially about what I read; so I hate to think of myself as one of those mindless, spiteful Twilight haters who ravage the series simply because it's been said to be better than Harry Potter (codswallop!).

So I devised a simple yet brilliant plan: to borrow the Twilight Saga and read them.

So I have (save for Breaking Dawn--anyone have a copy I might procure for a short period of time?), and I'm about to.

And I thought, since I haven't been posting in a while and this will most likely be the most interesting thing to happen in my mind for a while, I might do a series of posts detailing my Twilight Experiment. Sort of narratives/summaries/reviews as I go along, much like that British fellow on Youtube (but with much less profanity and probably much less hilarity; also I had this idea before I knew that British fellow had done it, so I'm really not copying promise.

So, dear reader, please bear witness:

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good...and also that I will go into this Experiment with as unbiased a mind as possible. I will keep all thoughts of pre-formed opinions and scorn completely from my mind, and read the Twilight Saga as if I know absolutely nothing about it, falling back into the readerly innocence that fueled my slight desire to read them in the very beginning. I solemnly swear that as much as is humanly possible by the grace of God that you will get an honest, unslanted, fresh opinion of all that I read. I will not let RoPat affect what I think, I will not let the twelve-year-old fangirls affect what I think, I will not let what I thought affect what I think.

So, let's see how this goes, shall we?

3 comments:

  1. as someone who (knows someone who) has done this, I can fairly guarantee you will come to similar conclusions as I (know that particular person) did.

    best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a series about an average klutzy complaining girl who attracts (not sure at ALL how!)2 normal average guys, a vampire and a teacher (accourding to S.M) Believe me....you might barf. Or laugh. Oh and...Edward is a creeper. He's attracted to her because he cant read her mind and she smells good, and he wants to eat her....EAT HER!! Who dates a person who wants to eat them!! And um...he goes into her room to watch her sleep...ew. Ick. CREEPER!!
    Plus...VAMPIRES DONT SPARKLE!!

    (this rant was brought to you by Kierstin...your welcome)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love you. :) You are brillience in a cup. :)

    ReplyDelete