10.16.2010

Les Miserables

I got it for Christmas from my favorite sister-in-law, Sarah. I started it in July. It's 1,462 pages long.

Today, I finished it.

It's worth every single minute--even the minutes involving 19 pages of the history of Paris' sewers (I'm a firm believer that you need to go into a book assuming every single word is there for a reason). I feel accomplished and completely satisfied. Dear reader, you must know this book. It is, in a word, vast--every single aspect of the book, from the characters to the setting, is complete in every detail, no matter how briefly it appears. It's staggering. I can't believe it only took him 17 years to write it. I'm at a loss for words to fully capture how awesome this book is (as evidenced by my disconnected and understated sentences).

If you read no other books in your life other than the Bible and Les Miserables, I think you'll be okay.

"If we want to be happy, monsieur, we must never understand duty; for, as soon as we understand it, it is implacable. It is as though it punishes you for understanding it; but no, it rewards you for it; for it puts you in a hell where you feel God at your side. Your heart is not quickly lacerated when you are at peace with yourself."

1 comment:

  1. That is one of my post-graduation goals. I have wanted to read it my entire college career but have decided that in order to dedicate my full attention to it, i shall wait until the mountains of books that I really don't want to read but must, have disappeared.
    Your post just made me ache for graduation EVEN MORE!!! =P

    ReplyDelete